Scottsdale AZ Probate Lawyer
Our Scottsdale AZ Probate lawyer want to help in your Arizona probate case. If you need to hire a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer, you may want to consult with our probate lawyer. We know how overwhelming it can be to manage someone’s estate and want to offer our assistance. With a skilled probate lawyer on your side, you may feel a little more at ease.
Tips to Help Speed Up the Probate Process
As you may already know, the probate process can take a long time. The longer it takes, the more expensive and frustrating it is. Here are several tips for speeding up the process:
- Don’t miss deadlines: As a Scottsdale probate lawyer can attest, filing documents past the deadline can prolong the probate process. Be sure to keep track of all the deadlines so that you don’t miss them.
- Notify creditors right away: It is important to notify creditors of the death as soon as possible. If you wait to notify them, it can slow down the probate process.
- Consider unusual assets: There are certain assets that are difficult to value, such as intellectual property and collectibles. A Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer might suggest that you have various professionals review those assets and determine their value, such as real estate assessors, etc.
- Don’t wait to hire a lawyer: An experienced Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer may move the probate process along faster, so it may be important to hire one as soon as possible. A probate lawyer from our firm can work hard to handle the probation process in an efficient manner and solve issues in advance whenever possible.
What Does a Probate Lawyer Do in Arizona?
A probate attorney in Scottsdale AZ is someone who guides an executor or administrator of a will through the entire probate process. He or she may assist with the following tasks:
- Locating probate assets and non-probate assets
- Helping with the sale of estate property
- Determining if any estate taxes are owed
- Distributing assets to heirs
- Settling disputes among beneficiaries
When Is It Necessary to Hire a Probate Lawyer in Arizona?
It is possible to get through the probate procedure without a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer. However, if any complexities arise along the way, it may be necessary to hire one.
- There isn’t enough money in the estate to pay debts and taxes: If it doesn’t look like there is enough money in the estate to cover debts and taxes, it may be necessary to seek a probate lawyer’s advice.
- Family members want to contest the will: Sometimes heirs threaten to challenge a will if they believe they are not getting their fair share. This is when it may be necessary for a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer to step in and help. A lawyer may be able to prevent these heirs from going to court, which consumes both money and time.
- A federal or state estate tax is owed: If you have to file a federal or state tax return, it might be a chance to get legal and tax advice from a probate lawyer. An estate tax return can be quite complicated, so it may be in your best interest to have an attorney assist you.
- The estate contains a business: Managing and selling a business can be quite difficult, so you may want to work with someone who has experience with that. A skilled Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer may offer you expert advice on how to deal with a business.
What Should I Expect During an Initial Consultation?
If you are ready to hire a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer, the first thing you should do is set up an initial consultation. During this meeting, the lawyer may ask you several questions relating to the deceased person’s estate, such as how many assets he or she had in the will.
It may also be necessary to bring a few different documents to the meeting, such as the decedent’s will, income tax returns of the decedent, and official copies of the death certificate. If you have any questions of your own regarding the probate process, do not hesitate to ask them during the consultation.
Questions to Ask a Probate Lawyer
In order to determine if a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer is the right person to handle your case, you have to ask him or her the right questions. Here are several you should consider asking:
- How many probate cases have you handled in the past? It’s important to find out how much experience a probate lawyer in Scottsdale AZ has with handling probate cases. If a lawyer is just starting out and has only overseen a few probate cases, he or she might not have enough experience to handle your case if it’s even somewhat complex.
- What are your fees? Before you hire a probate lawyer, be sure to ask about his or her fees. Find out if he or she charges by the hour or a flat rate. Be clear on your potential costs before you sign on the dotted line.
- How long do you think the probate process will take? The probate process can be stressful, so you likely want to get it over as quickly as possible. During your consultation with a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer, don’t hesitate to ask how long he or she anticipates the process will take for your particular case.
- What Issues May Arise in a Probate? When you are talking to a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer, ask which if any problems might arise from your estate situation. If you know about potential issues beforehand, they won’t be as big of a shock and may even be avoidable.
- What is your current caseload? It may not be a good idea to hire a Scottsdale probate lawyer with a heavy caseload. If he or she is dealing with numerous probate cases, they might not be able to give your case the attention it deserves.
Do not wait to hire a probate lawyer. If you are looking for more information about probate, or if you’re interested in hiring a Scottsdale AZ probate lawyer, contact us today at 480-305-8301.